Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) Award
What is the Duke of Edinburgh award?
DofE is a popular, and very respected, youth achievement award open to young people up to the age of 24.
How it works
The Award has three levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
- Has four sections - volunteering, skills, physical and expeditions
- Is open to young people who have started school Year 9
- Requires a minimum commitment of six months
- Has the same sections as Bronze.
- Is open to young people who have started school Year 10.
- Requires a minimum 12-month commitment
- Is open to young people who are in school year 12 and above. It is currently offered by most post-16 providers in Kirklees.
Doing the Award at King James’s School
Most students start the Bronze award in Year 9 or 10. If students complete Bronze in Year 9, they can start Silver in Year 10.
Students must put in a great deal of effort in addition to their school commitments. Completing the Award takes commitment, drive and dedication.
Why King James’s students take the Award
Finishing the Award at any level is a real achievement and contributes to the pupils' all-round experience at King James’s.
When a student undertakes their DofE programme, they will develop the skills and attitudes they need to become more rounded, confident adults, qualities that attract colleges, universities and employers. When parents and carers back their child's pursuit of a DofE Award, they are investing in valuable skills and setting the tone for a lifetime of achievement. Parents and Carers will see all kinds of new talents bloom as they achieve their Award including:
- Self-belief and self-confidence
- A sense of identity and responsibility
- Initiative, leadership and team-working skills
- A real awareness of their strengths
- New talents and abilities and new friendships
- The ability to plan and use time and to learn from and give to others in the community
- Problem solving, presentation and communication skills
Mrs Cath Gardner – Duke of Edinburgh Co-ordinator: email@example.com
Mr Pete Murphy – Duke of Edinburgh Expedition Leader: firstname.lastname@example.org