The health and wellbeing of everyone in the King James’s School community is something that we take very seriously. As a school we have presented our good practice locally at Northorpe Hall and regionally at Leeds Beckett University.
What we do for students:
- We have a full time Welfare Officer and Wellbeing Mentor who work with the Pastoral team to ensure that students who need additional help and support, can access this.
- We have trained Peer Mentors who work with Year 7 students to enable them to settle in to the new routines in school.
- We have trained Student Wellbeing Champions who teach Year 7 students about mental health and wellbeing in form time. We follow the Peer Education Programme from the Mental Health Foundation.
- Our Wellbeing Mentor runs exam stress workshops for students struggling with exams.
- Our PSHCE curriculum includes units of work on physical health, sexual health and mental health. We also teach mindfulness to Year 7’s following the .b curriculum using three members of staff who are fully trained in mindfulness teaching.
- We have a core group of Senior Students who focus on health and wellbeing in order to develop new strategies and ideas.
Useful health and wellbeing links for students:
What we do for staff:
- Staff Wellbeing Champions meet every half term to look at what we can do for students and staff to enable them to maintain their health and wellbeing.
- We follow the ‘Working the King James’s Way’ ethos which reminds staff to follow the KJ Way, for example, K = Kindness and Compassion which means to communicate appropriately and sensitively in a timely manner, give constructive feedback and be receptive to feedback.
- We have signed the Time to Change Employer Pledge. This consists of an annual action plan that is reviewed and updated every year. It includes principles such as senior leadership commitment to addressing mental health in the workplace and to raising awareness about mental health issues.
- We have an annual Six Weeks of Wellbeing event where we shine a spotlight on health-related issues such as General Wellbeing (NHS Change for Life), Men’s health (heart disease and cancer), Healthy eating (healthy eating and the health benefits of chocolate!), ladies health (don’t fear the smear), mental health (how can I reduce stress?) and healthy hearts (what is your heart age?)
- We have produced and follow policies designed to support staff if and when they need it. We are committed to supporting the health and welfare of our colleagues and seek to provide a positive and healthy working environment, recognising the value of physical and non-physical, health and well-being.
Useful health and wellbeing links for staff:
What we do for parents and carers:
- Termly Wellbeing newsletter written by our staff Wellbeing Champions. Previous newsletters have included features on Intervention at KJS: Intervention therapy; Bereavement; Movember; Time to Talk Day and 6 Weeks of Well-Being
Useful health and wellbeing links for parents and carers:
If you have any questions or queries, please contact Mrs Terry on firstname.lastname@example.org